Saturday, April 16, 2011

who knew motherhood would so closely resemble pulp fiction?


A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.
-- Agatha Christie

i came upon this quote in my real simple magazine yesterday.  it is perfect.  it captures motherhood in such a different yet brilliant light.  of course mothers are nurturing and sweet and wonderful beings.  but mothers are also fearless creatures who have a visceral and, at times, overwhelming need to protect their babies. i often think that i would stop at nothing to protect quinn,  that i love him so much it takes my breath away and i can barely swallow, that i would literally turn into a complete psychopath to keep him safe.  and i would make no apologies for it.  

as i type this, mike stands behind me saying "and i will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those that attempt to poison and destroy my [child].  you will know my name is the [mother] when i lay my vengeance upon thee."

yes...it goes a little something like that.









3 comments:

  1. this is so so true. Sometimes at night I sneak into Aidan's room and watch him sleep and it actually brings tears to my eyes. I think about how much I love him and it hurts. My mom always said the love you have for your child is amazing and so powerful...she was so right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @anonymous - you are so right. it seems like your heart just swells every single minute you are with this new baby. i never imagined how powerful the love could be!

    ReplyDelete